The Perks of Being a Millenial

Ayanna Horton, Writer/Editor

Being a Millennial

Many other generations will argue that Millennials are lazy, spoiled, and entitled, but millennials are simply misunderstood. Now, allow me to explain.  At this point in the article you may have lost focus; they say millennials do have a shortened attention span,but allow me to explain what a millennial is exactly. A millennial, in textbook terms, is a person that was born between the early 1980s and the year 2000. Hypothetically speaking, millennials are the teens and young adults of the world today. As the world has made giant technological advancements such as the internet, the new generation of consumers has also changed. Amanda Livingston helped to form this list of things you should know about Millennials.

Culture. Culture is your way of life, your values. Millennial culture is partly based off of memes and funny Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram posts. By this, I mean that millennials develop their culture online through social media. Social media is where millennials go to rant, rave, or simply share interesting things that happen in their daily lives. While doing so, millennials make their own community of friends who share common interests. Unlike past generations, millennials have access to millions of online friends from across the world. This access allows millennials to meet more people who are both similar and different from each other. This aspect of life is very important to the way millennials live their lives. Amanda even went so far to say that she “wouldn’t know how to live her life without a computer!”

Opportunity. Millennials have an assortment of different opportunities right in the palm of their hand! Millennials have the opportunity to have their talents discovered through social media. Super millennial celebs such as Justin Bieber, The Weeknd, and Kate Upton along with many other millennial kids and teens, have come to stardom through social media sites such as: Twitter, Instagram, Vine, and the Musical.ly app. Speaking of celebs, millennials have a higher chance of holding conversations with their idols. Most celebrities have social media accounts which allow them to interact with their fans casually.

Stereotypes. As mentioned earlier, millennials are usually viewed as entitled and lazy. These stereotypes that millennials are often stuck with is because of the giant technological gap between generation Y and generation X. The fact of the matter is that millennials are just able to do things quicker and easier thanks to the launch of the internet and other devices. Millennials can watch their favorite TV shows whenever and wherever they want. A generation X member would only have been able to watch his fave show on the scheduled day it aired. Millennials can meet and talk to people around the world at the click of a button. Generation X would have had to spend hundreds of dollars to take a trip to meet people across the world. Millennials can communicate with their friends through written language, even when hundreds of miles away from each other (texting)!  Although this is an amazing advancement in the way we communicate with each other, many millennials, like Amanda, prefer to talk face to face. Generation X would have to call a landline phone to communicate with friends. Millennials can become “famous” from simple self-organized apps on their phones. Generation X simply did not have the technology to do so. As you have probably concluded by now, millennials are indeed different from other generations. Millennials are creative, interactive, accepting, and most of all, millennials are the future.