Prom Politics

Ayanna Horton, Editor/ Writer

Throughout the past few weeks, prom outfits have been up for discussion. A recent article published by the Rockford Register Star(rrstar) talked about the different schools around Rockford that are enforcing new rules to prohibit some prom dresses from being worn by students. (Here’s a link to the article! http://www.rrstar.com/news/20170304/prom-police-rockford-schools-crack-down-on-revealing-outfits ) Since the article was posted, there has been uproar all across social media; even some of the biggest news outlets have picked up the story. There has inevitably been lots of controversy over what students can and can’t wear, but the main question that has come under the spotlight is the question of body shaming. Specifically, rrstar mentioned Boylan Central Catholic’s strict prom policies that suggest that a certain type of dress that may be acceptable to be  worn by one student, may be unacceptable to wear for another student. These certain rules/guidelines have been said to be “Body Shaming.” Let us know your opinion on the matter in the comment section below. Is it wrong for prohibiting the wearing of a certain dress simply because of body shape?

Though Rockford Lutheran has not come out with too strict of a statement on prom dress code, there has been question about the Lutheran High dress code in the past. Take a look at this excerpt from a past article written in February of 2009.

“The Fight for fashion fads

by: Hilary Halsted

“The fight for fashion fads”
Article published in February 2009.

Fashion fads constantly change and at a school with dress code enforced, students look for unique and innovative ways to stand out. A popular statement for many includes piercings, ranging from earring to nose rings. Some, preferring less permanent methods choose to change their hair color and use outrageous colors or outlandish patterns. Each of these artsy ways to maintain individualism may be allowed in most places, but are banished at Lutheran High.”

In the past, students have had problems with the dress code, some even saying that dress code restricts “individualism.” What do you think? Does having a strict dress code limit student’s imagination and individualism? Let us know down below!