On Your Mark, Get Set, Go!

Ayanna Hortona, Editor/ Writer

04/06/17. Freshman, Tavian Hobson, leans back in a perfect power stance as he throws the shot put at Lutheran’s home meet.

Freshman, Amaya Livingston, stays focused as she completes her disk throwing routine.

Hoping to make it to state: the goal for most track athletes this year. Many of Rockford Lutheran’s track and field athletes have been in rigid training in efforts to make it to the State finals meet at the end of the season. Members of the team have been working for many months prior to get ready and in shape for the season, and if they are lucky, State. While some of the athletes simply ran to workout for the season, others took to playing other sports (such as basketball, football, and volleyball) in order to stay fit. The team, composed of around 21 boys and girls, is stacked with the sport’s veterans, including 100 meter and 200 meter State champion (and Athlete of the Week): Courtney Sockwell. Not only does the team surely have a lot to offer, the team has offered its athletes many things as well. RL’s Track and Field athletes have not only grown and peaked individually, but also as a team. Many team members claim that the Track and Field team has deeply influenced their high school careers, allowing them the chance to mix new friends with an empowered work ethic. They claim that the support, friendships, and the memories that they have made on their individual journeys has allowed them to be the best that they can be in the sport. In the next few weeks, with the support of their teammates, Rockford Lutheran athletes will push their limits and abilities to reach PR’s (personal records) and hopefully State acknowledgments. This year, athletes will get ready to put  all of their hard work out on the line for a chance at State. As Nike once put it, “Success isn’t given, it’s earned. On the track, on the field, in the gym. With blood, sweat, and the occasional tear.”

Rockford Lutheran Junior, Kyle Morgan, sprints to the finish line showing off his remarkable running form.